Dizziness is often a term used to describe both vertigo and disequilibrium. While these conditions are very similar, they are not the same, and it is important to know the differences so as to properly explain the condition to one’s medical doctor or Calgary chiropractor for vertigo. Here’s a simple breakdown:
- Disequilibrium: A person may feel as if the floor is tilting causing him to feel unsteady and as if he is about to fall.
- Vertigo: The false sensation that the person or the objects around him are in motion.
Why Do Vertigo and Disequilibrium Happen?
A number of conditions have vertigo or disequilibrium as a symptom. They are:
- Meniere’s disease: Related to fluid buildup in the inner ear, it is known for causing hearing loss, a feeling of fullness in the ear, tinnitus, and vertigo.
- Acoustic neuroma: Involving a problem with the vestibular nerve that connects the brain with the inner ear, this condition has to do with a non-cancerous growth on the nerve that causes tinnitus, hearing loss, and vertigo.
- A vestibular migraine: This is a migraine that may not have a headache associated with it, but usually presents with sensitivity to light and sound along with vestibular symptoms like vertigo and disequilibrium.
- Acute vestibular neuritis: This is an inflammation of the inner ear causing vertigo along with nausea, vomiting, some hearing loss that will likely clear up, and balance problems.
Upper Cervical Care for Vertigo and Disequilibrium
Whether a person is experiencing vertigo, disequilibrium, or any other type of dizziness, a good place to begin seeking help is from an upper cervical chiropractor. A link has been noticed between vertigo and a misalignment in the bones of the upper cervical spine.
Here at Solara Health in Calgary, Alberta, we are trained in finding these misalignments and working with our patients to correct them by means of a gentle, precise method called NUCCA. Once corrected, the body can begin working at its optimum, and vertigo often lessens or goes away completely.
To schedule a consultation with Vibe Health & Spine, call our Calgary office at (403) 266-2283. You can also click the button below.
If you are outside of the local area, you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.